Sewage Contamination In Your Home
Sewage damage is an extremely serious problem. Not only is it costly for home and business owners, it is also a dangerous problem. Exposure to sewage contamination can result in a number or health problems. Even your belongings are at risk of contamination from the harmful contaminants and microorganisms present in sewage. Due to the potential health risks, sewage cleanup requires professionally trained experts.
The Dangers of Sewage Contamination
Pathogens and allergens that fester in sewage waste include bacteria, parasites, and viruses.
Bacteria are usually single-celled, parasitic life forms microscopic in size. Most genera cause decay, fermentation and disease. Common bacteria found in raw sewage include:
• Campylobacter jejuni – long-term effects include arthritis and Guillain-Barre Syndrome
• (Escherichia coli) E. coli – causes bloody diarrhea, fever, nausea, vomiting
• Salmonella – causes gastroenteritis, typhoid fever, paratyphoid fever
• Cryptosporidiosis – life-threatening in immune-deficient patients
• Giardia – causes diarrhea, dehydration, malabsorption, chronic weight loss
• Roundworm (Ascariasis) – blocks intestinal track. Causes chronic cough, shortness of breath
• Tapeworm (Helmiths worm) – feeds on intestinal track. Causes vitamin deficiencies, fatigue, weight loss
• Adenoviruses – cause respiratory and eye infections, pneumonia, croup and bronchitis
• HPV (human papilloma virus) – known to cause cervical or anal cancer, genital warts
• Norwalk Virus – causes gastroenteritis
• Rotavirus – causes severe diarrhea and high fevers
The biohazards in sewage can be spread to humans through skin contact and inhalation and can result in various health problems including:
An acute feverish disease with symptoms of gastroenteritis, mild jaundice, persistent and severe headache.
Literally, Hepatitis means inflammation of the liver and caused by a virus known as viral hepatitis. When Hepatitis is an outcome of sewage backup, it is often characterized by jaundice and inflammation of the liver.
When irritation is excessive, symptoms of gastroenteritis (an inflammation of the stomach and the intestine) can include diarrhea with vomiting and cramps, and is often associated with fever when caused by an infectious agent.
Inflammation of the alveoli in the lungs is seldom reported with relation to sewage backup. However, when reported its symptoms include fever, breathlessness, dry cough, and aching muscles and joints.
Exposure to sewage is also related to dermatitis, asthma, infection of the skin and eyes, and fatal damage to kidneys, liver and blood.
It is suggested that women who are pregnant, patients with auto-immune deficiencies, sufferers of HIV or AIDS, children under the age of 2 and seniors over the age of 60 or more susceptible to life-threatening illness if exposed to sewage damage. However, make no mistake, the health and safety of EVERYONE is at risk when exposed to sewage damage.
If you’ve experienced the nastiness of a sewer damage backup in your home or business, don’t hesitate to give us here at On The Spot Cleaning & Restoration a call. Our expert trained staff can assist you in safely and thoroughly cleaning up the mess and returning your property to how it was before the event.
Related Posts via Categories